Monday, November 12, 2007

Bed Sheets

As I got into bed tonight, I thanked God for my comforter. It seems like a small thing, but I love being wrapped up like burrito in it. Then I remembered to pray for those don't have bedding and need it.

Over the summer I read something that said something to the effect of, "As long as there are empty mouths in the Body of Christ, the eucharist is incomplete." While I think that Christ's death was enough to buy me into being able to be in God's family, I see the point.

As I write, I can see the faces of Christians that I have taken communion with that did without basic necessities today. I am compelled to write that I am ashamed that my truest brothers and sisters do not have enough.

I have two comforters on my bed. Most of the time the smaller of the two is pushed to the side against the wall.

The Lord is clear that nothing I have I have because I have earned it, or by some way am entitled to it. Job's cry for mercy was met with a threatening truth. "I made you from dust, you will be dust again" and "Where were you when I hung the stars?"

How about this for haunting: "If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?."

I have pity, but I know how quickly it will be gone by the time I finish my breakfast tomorrow and am worried with not being late to class (again).

I understand why it seems no one does anything. We have never thought seriously about our own survival. Gross, Sick, Untrue.

May God grant us the mercy of being moved to care for our fellow believers. OUR FLESH AND BLOOD IN CHRIST.
Come quickly Lord.

No comments: