Wednesday, May 7, 2008

An Evangelical Manifesto

A group of leaders within the Evangelical movement released an Evangelical Manifesto today, declaring and defining to the world who Evangelicals are.  A friend of mine commented that its funny that "the humanists only took like 5 years to write a manifesto while Evangelicals waited 70."  

It is an interesting read.  My observation is that the explanations given define better what the people in the movement are not than what they are.  

I am glad that this document was written and hopefully it will help in providing some sense of clarity, especially for the popular media.  

I will not be signing the document, but there are some very impressive statements.  I am particularly enthused about this statement about Evangelicals and politics:

"Called to an allegiance higher than party, ideology, economic system, and 

nationality, we Evangelicals see it our duty to engage with politics, but our equal duty 

never to be completely equated with any party, partisan ideology, or nationality.  The 

politicization of faith is never a sign of strength but of weakness."



1 comment:

annie.marie.dimond. said...

OOh my. Thanks for making me aware of this. I must post this on my blog so that we can spread the word about this.