Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Christian Celebrity Sighting


Today I got a call from a friend telling me that Shane Claiborne was at Ivanhoe's, which is our local ice cream eatery.

I hopped in my new car- a 1988 VW Cabrio, and went to see if it was true.
Sure enough he was there with some Taylor people and a couple of local ministers.  We all sat outside enjoying the sunshine and milkshakes.
Shane is a man who is doing his best to follow Christ.  Today he was soft-spoken and when he talked he had a think southern accent.

He joked about how they kept themselves entertained between speaking engagements by listening to "comedy" stations, which were political shows on satellite radio from both the far-right and far-left wings, with liquid-metal in between to keep it lively.  

I didn't gain any new transcendent spiritual concept or new illumination.  It was nice to know that there is a real person behind the "Irresistible Revolution", a book that challenged me, informed me, stretched me, made me laugh and cry uncontrollably, frustrated me, and gave me great great hope for the Kingdom of God.

May the Lord continue to prepare our sails to catch his wind/spirit.

No comments: